Friday 30 September 2011

How to ignore the stench of ammonia when showering and brushing teeth

I'm all about trying to live simply and learning new things.  Like living in a container and using communal showers and toilets, where your knees touch the door of the cubicle and water stops frequently. 

On my second or third night here it must have been a hot day and there was some problem with the plumbing.  I was keen to wash off the sweat and grime of the day and was looking forward to a nice shower; it started off well, until the smell of ammonia hit my nostrils and I felt like I was washing myself in sewage as opposed to groundwater.  It was rather unpleasant, but worse still, after I managed to block my nose somewhat, I was trying to brush my teeth - there's something wrong about trying to clean yourself with minty froth and then inhaling the smell of piss at the same time. 

Trying to complete these tasks while stomping your legs about to ward off the aggressive mosquitoes - not my happiest moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment